Pioneer and Democrat, November 2, 1855.

On Wednesday, October 31,1855, Colonel A. Benton Moses, Aid-de-Camp to Captain Maurice Maloney, Colonel of the Militia District composed of Pierce and Sawamish counties and U.S. Surveyor of Customs for the Port of Nesqually, District of Puget Sound. He was born in Charleston, South Carolina.

The subject of this notice is well known to the citizens of our Territory where he has resided since the fall of 1851, and during the whole of that period he has been more or less in official positions. He enlisted as a volunteer in the Mexican war, and served with credit on both the lines of General Taylor and Scott and was promoted to a 1st Lieutenancy.

He served creditably under Lt. Colonel, now U.S. Senator Welier, in the battle of Monterey; then in the fight at Marin, and afterwards on the other lines as Aid-de-camp to Brig. General Childs, U.S.A. by whom he was highly esteemed.

He came to California in 1849 and while there went on an expedition to Southern California against the Indians; and on his return to San Francisco was a Deputy to Colonel Jack Hays, sheriff of San Francisco, until the fall of 1851 when he accompanied his brother, the Collector of Customs to Olympia, then Oregon.

That winter he was one of the volunteers to Queen Charlotte's Island to rescue the crew and passengers of the American sloop Georgiana from captivity, on that Island. He afterwards held the office of sheriff of Thurston County, which he resigned to accept the office Surveyor of Nesqually.

He leaves a young widow, a mother, sisters to mourn his untimely sudden end, and a numerous circle of friends. He was so generally known in this community, that it is needless to give his characteristics. We may say that the regret at his loss, too well betokens the regard of the many friends his frank, manly and generous nature secured for him.

At the same time, and in the same treacherous surprise on the part of a greatly larger force, Joseph Miles, Esq. a member of Capt. Hays company of Puget Sound Mounted Volunteers, met his fate, by a bullet shot through his neck, his body being found by Major Tidd some fifteen paces from the spot where he had been seen alive.

At the time of his death, he held the office of Lieutenant Colonel of the Militia of Thurston County and Justice of the Peace of Olympia, to both which offices he had been elected by large majorities at the late general election.

Lt. Col. Miles had lived in Olympia very nearly two years, and was among the first to respond to the call of the Executive for volunteers. At that time he with his brother, was engaged in the erection of the Capitol. He was a good citizen and a useful man in our community, and leaves a large circle of acquaintances and friends to mourn his untimely loss.

To his brother, and his family at home we extend the assurance of our sympathy in this bereavement. We can but remind them in these melancholy occurrences, what tradition and education so potently teach us all, that death in our country's service is holy martyrdom, that there is no holier appeal to man's sympathies and regard, than to pursue as our guide star that beautiful precept:

"Stand firm for your country, and become a man,

Honor'd and lov'd: It were a noble life,

To be found dead embracing her."

Pioneer and Democrat. November 2, 1855